At Cityfire & Electrical Services, we supply a variety of fire extinguishers, alongside servicing, installation, and maintenance. We stock all designs of extinguisher from stored pressure to cartridge operated. Our engineers are all BAFE certified for servicing portable fire extinguishers.
Choosing the right model of fire extinguisher
When using a fire extinguisher it’s important to select the correct suppressant for the flammable material in question. Failure to do so may increase the fire hazard and pose a danger to the operator – e.g. you should never use a water fire extinguisher if you suspect an electrical hazard. We offer a comprehensive selection of fire extinguishers to combat different classes of fire. If in doubt, please contact one of our experts for our professional opinion.
- Water fire extinguishers: Class A fires ONLY – solid materials including wood, paper, textile carpets, clothing/curtains etc.
- Foam fire extinguishers: Class B fires – flammable industrial liquids, including diesel, petrol, industrial oils, greases, and paints. Foam extinguishers can also be used to combat Class A fires.
- Powder fire extinguishers: There are three types of powder fire extinguisher, designed to combat various fire hazards:
- Class C fires – flammable gases (in compressed liquid or gaseous form), including propane, hydrogen, natural gas, and methane. Powder fire extinguishers are also suitable for fires caused by mixed materials, or when you are unsure of the source.
- Class D fires – flammable metals, including aluminium, magnesium, and sodium, but not lithium.
- Class D Lithium – Specialist powder extinguishers designed for use with lithium fires. Also compatible with other metal fires.
- CO2 fire extinguishers: Suitable for use with all electrical fire hazards. Carbon dioxide does not damage electrical and computer equipment, so is ideal for combating localised fires in office environments without risk of damage to IT assets.
- Chemical fire extinguishers: Class F fires – flammable domestic liquids, including olive oil, sunflower oil, vegetable oil, butter, and animal fat.
With over 20 years’ experience serving customers across Birmingham and the West Midlands. We guarantee reliable fire extinguishers at competitive prices, with ongoing maintenance plans, and after-sales support. For a free quote or to discuss your requirements, please call 01675 437337, or click here to send us an email.